Skip to main content

A Bit of a Writing <---> Effort

I'm trying to loosen up my synapses to pour out some fresh prose, but something seems to interrupt this process. What am I talking about, you ask? As Wendy would tease me, I could expound on what I mean in miles and miles of analytical prose to give you my life's history, background, and contextual understanding of the situation, but suffice to say: I am running low on ideas to write about.

Don't get me wrong - my imagination is still thriving. I can dream in brilliant colors (although Wendy takes the cake for quantity and vivid quality of dreams - it seems like one a night!), but I cannot seem to capture the essence of these sogni in a solitary moment. Perhaps the moments scream by, and my moments of solitary plentitude leave nothing but quiet reflection for the writing process. Perhaps these thoughts are only as good as the moment in which they arrive, to be lost forever as the Xanadu of my Samuel Taylor Coleridge existence. Perhaps it is my lack of focus and concentration on the task at hand which causes these dreams to vanish in the smoky confines of whatever chosen room. Whatever the reason, I seem stuck.

Never mind - this is an attempt to recover my imagination for purposes of fiction. Give it a shot, you know, because before I know it, the year will be over with nary a poem or short story to show for it. A bit of an effort writing, 'tis true, to get a bit of a writing effort.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyday Love Poem to my Wife

Over a year of marriage carries Happiness, love, and sometimes cranberries But eventually the pace slows down, Work intrudes, some days a frown And suddenly the world has changed. What we must do is simply rearrange The days so that other things fit neatly In their own places, and move on sweetly To the beauties of the everyday together. Because there is love everywhere, wherever You shall be - and perhaps also Rosie - This is a good thing naturally, So good to state it thus and remember That only frigid mornings in November Can keep us apart, but only so long As the work day lasts because so strong Is our pact that I worry not a wink - Your loveliness is worth so much, I think.

Muggles...

...is what I tweeted last night after having the privilege of attending a private screening of the movie hours before the midnight premiere. As much as the digital revolution has fragmented the shared experiences that we have, it has also greatly expanded the impact of those events that touch various peoples. Witness Harry Potter. In the pre-digital world, this would have been an uniquely British story about wizards and boarding schools, but it has captivated global audiences and transcended the borders of its now-uber-wealthy writer. We were part of the crowd that spanned the globe to see this movie, which I can say, lives up to the hype. On a Thursday evening, we could watch the lines of children queuing up to get a chance to say goodbye to a childhood growing up with Harry Potter and watching the actor grow from a plump-faced little boy into a serious actor and apparent alcoholic. It did not matter for 2.5 hours in the theater, of a movie that was pretty gripping from beginnin...

In Memory of Rose

Pets have an uncanny ability of ingraining themselves into the fabric of a household, so much so that their disappearance can cause great grief and disorientation to their owners. Such is the case with Rose, who passed from our household on Sunday. An older dog when we took her in to our home last year, Rose was supposedly the runt of her litter, a fact confirmed by her diminutive 5-pound Pomeranian frame - too small for her breed but too big to be classified a "teacup." This suited her just fine, however, as she came to embody a singular personality as a dog among people, often little acknowledging some dogs and appearing frightened by others just as a hesitant human being might act around jumpy canines. Rose embodied all of what defines unconditional love. She was raucous when we would leave the house and even more raucous when we returned, partly due to separation anxiety but mostly due to her sadness and excitement of being around us; she let us know her affection b...