Skip to main content

Papers, Papers Everywhere

I cannot seem to get out from under it. I look to my left - an inbox brimming with all sorts of presentations, leaflets, magazines, and binders lining up against the wall . I look to my right - a desktop screen cluttered with a Microsoft Office explosion of Powerpoint, Word, Excel, and a straggling Access file in there. I look down - the file drawers are organized, thank goodness, but should hold more of what I see to my left. And sitting on the table, those stacks of Red Herring magazines and various industry pamphlets that update everything from Japanese innovation to US Barnum & Bailey convention promotions.

I sit in the middle of this, figuring out where to start in getting organized again. This is a monthly ritual, it seems - run like heck to stay just one step ahead as the crash of all this activity hangs imminently in the balance of what can practically fit in the inbox. Then, right before IT turns off the email and the inbox falls over, I catch it all and file it away. Until the next month at least.

I'll thank Coleridge for the send-off: "Papers, paper everywhere, cause all inboxes to overpile; papers, papers everywhere, nor any a minute to file"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyday Love Poem to my Wife

Over a year of marriage carries Happiness, love, and sometimes cranberries But eventually the pace slows down, Work intrudes, some days a frown And suddenly the world has changed. What we must do is simply rearrange The days so that other things fit neatly In their own places, and move on sweetly To the beauties of the everyday together. Because there is love everywhere, wherever You shall be - and perhaps also Rosie - This is a good thing naturally, So good to state it thus and remember That only frigid mornings in November Can keep us apart, but only so long As the work day lasts because so strong Is our pact that I worry not a wink - Your loveliness is worth so much, I think.

Muggles...

...is what I tweeted last night after having the privilege of attending a private screening of the movie hours before the midnight premiere. As much as the digital revolution has fragmented the shared experiences that we have, it has also greatly expanded the impact of those events that touch various peoples. Witness Harry Potter. In the pre-digital world, this would have been an uniquely British story about wizards and boarding schools, but it has captivated global audiences and transcended the borders of its now-uber-wealthy writer. We were part of the crowd that spanned the globe to see this movie, which I can say, lives up to the hype. On a Thursday evening, we could watch the lines of children queuing up to get a chance to say goodbye to a childhood growing up with Harry Potter and watching the actor grow from a plump-faced little boy into a serious actor and apparent alcoholic. It did not matter for 2.5 hours in the theater, of a movie that was pretty gripping from beginnin...

Sitting in a NYC Taxicab

I was whirring up Park Avenue for a meeting at the Waldorf Astoria (oh, how posh!) when I pulled out my cameraphone to snap a picture uniquely indicative of New York City. Something representative without being overdone (easier said that done!). Something relatable to almost anyone that has been to this wonderful city. Something easy to recognize. Something difficult to forget. Sitting in a NYC taxicab, it was apparent where the shutter would point itself. Of all the places that I have been in Manhattan through the years, none have been so welcoming and iconic as the backseat of those yellow beacons of light after a bender of a night. An United Nations of drivers mans these vehicles, representative of the dream that the United States has often been for the fortunate, displaced, and ambitious - not that disillusionment did not follow when finding the cab as an occupation hopeful for a better future. Regardless, the taxicab is often friend, sometimes foe - and sometimes the instigator of...