Skip to main content

Making Magic in the Day Planner

Seeing as more time has elapsed since the last time that I blogged something, I decided to peek into what is happening in my day-to-day life in effort to squeeze in a bit of writing.  Here is what I found:
  • I'm working an average of 55 hours per work, according to the handy-dandy timesheets I am constructing at Paymo.  Mind you, this is actual working time, which means closer to 70-80 hour work weeks
  • Working is most of what I'm doing these days, besides being as good a husband and doggy daddy as I can be.  Basically cranking, as they call it, which means something different to me after reading this piece from Merlin Mann at 43folders
This has to change.  So, on a Sunday evening, I decided to pivot (another one of those words they use).  Let's start with the given - 1,440.  That's the number of minutes that I have every day to do things as well as sleep.  Same as anyone else, I suppose.

Instead of just cranking, I want to encompass a fuller set of things:
  • To laugh and love
  • To sweat and sing
  • To discover and have discomfort
  • To crank (yes, still want to do it) and be creative
These things can all live together in their own way, with a little bit of "zzz's" sprinkled in to allow the whole cycle to repeat.  It seems easy enough - now I just need to animate the old day planner with the right spirit to make it so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyday Love Poem to my Wife

Over a year of marriage carries Happiness, love, and sometimes cranberries But eventually the pace slows down, Work intrudes, some days a frown And suddenly the world has changed. What we must do is simply rearrange The days so that other things fit neatly In their own places, and move on sweetly To the beauties of the everyday together. Because there is love everywhere, wherever You shall be - and perhaps also Rosie - This is a good thing naturally, So good to state it thus and remember That only frigid mornings in November Can keep us apart, but only so long As the work day lasts because so strong Is our pact that I worry not a wink - Your loveliness is worth so much, I think.

Sitting in a NYC Taxicab

I was whirring up Park Avenue for a meeting at the Waldorf Astoria (oh, how posh!) when I pulled out my cameraphone to snap a picture uniquely indicative of New York City. Something representative without being overdone (easier said that done!). Something relatable to almost anyone that has been to this wonderful city. Something easy to recognize. Something difficult to forget. Sitting in a NYC taxicab, it was apparent where the shutter would point itself. Of all the places that I have been in Manhattan through the years, none have been so welcoming and iconic as the backseat of those yellow beacons of light after a bender of a night. An United Nations of drivers mans these vehicles, representative of the dream that the United States has often been for the fortunate, displaced, and ambitious - not that disillusionment did not follow when finding the cab as an occupation hopeful for a better future. Regardless, the taxicab is often friend, sometimes foe - and sometimes the instigator of...

Muggles...

...is what I tweeted last night after having the privilege of attending a private screening of the movie hours before the midnight premiere. As much as the digital revolution has fragmented the shared experiences that we have, it has also greatly expanded the impact of those events that touch various peoples. Witness Harry Potter. In the pre-digital world, this would have been an uniquely British story about wizards and boarding schools, but it has captivated global audiences and transcended the borders of its now-uber-wealthy writer. We were part of the crowd that spanned the globe to see this movie, which I can say, lives up to the hype. On a Thursday evening, we could watch the lines of children queuing up to get a chance to say goodbye to a childhood growing up with Harry Potter and watching the actor grow from a plump-faced little boy into a serious actor and apparent alcoholic. It did not matter for 2.5 hours in the theater, of a movie that was pretty gripping from beginnin...