Skip to main content

Wallet Fortunes (with some thoughts)

fortune cookies

Let’s start the year with a play on words.  It makes extra sense since I am spend my days trying to reduce the need to carry a wallet at all in the future, but today I reached into my back pocket and rifled through the main pouch that holds my driver’s license.  I updated my car insurance cards and stumbled upon a treasure trove of choice fortunes that I have collected from years (at this point) or eating out with my wife at any number of Chinese restaurants in the area.

Here they are, in no particular order:

  • You will inherit a large sum of money (a nice thought, I suppose – who knows if that will be true?)
  • A thrilling time is in your immediate future (of course!  I’m home with Ruby, what else would I need from that?)
  • You are busy but you are happy. (true that)
  • Culture and customs of China attract you. (I should hope so, it has made me a wildly happy guy thus far)
  • You will have no problems in your home. (true, until I forget to put one small plate in the dishwasher…)
  • You are one of the people who “goes places in life.” (this varies from the home office down the hall to the safari my wife secretly wants to take for our fifth-year anniversary)
  • You will be successful in your work. (I’m hoping this is true?)
  • You and your wife will be happy in your life together. (an understatement – probably why there are three of these fortunes in my wallet…)
  • You will enjoy good health. (fingers crossed – a little more exercise would not hurt)
  • Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think. (wait a second – I’m supposed to be inspired by this, not provoked to deep thinking)
  • Time is money. (Still trying to figure out whether it’s worth a dime or a thousand dollars)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyday Love Poem to my Wife

Over a year of marriage carries Happiness, love, and sometimes cranberries But eventually the pace slows down, Work intrudes, some days a frown And suddenly the world has changed. What we must do is simply rearrange The days so that other things fit neatly In their own places, and move on sweetly To the beauties of the everyday together. Because there is love everywhere, wherever You shall be - and perhaps also Rosie - This is a good thing naturally, So good to state it thus and remember That only frigid mornings in November Can keep us apart, but only so long As the work day lasts because so strong Is our pact that I worry not a wink - Your loveliness is worth so much, I think.

Muggles...

...is what I tweeted last night after having the privilege of attending a private screening of the movie hours before the midnight premiere. As much as the digital revolution has fragmented the shared experiences that we have, it has also greatly expanded the impact of those events that touch various peoples. Witness Harry Potter. In the pre-digital world, this would have been an uniquely British story about wizards and boarding schools, but it has captivated global audiences and transcended the borders of its now-uber-wealthy writer. We were part of the crowd that spanned the globe to see this movie, which I can say, lives up to the hype. On a Thursday evening, we could watch the lines of children queuing up to get a chance to say goodbye to a childhood growing up with Harry Potter and watching the actor grow from a plump-faced little boy into a serious actor and apparent alcoholic. It did not matter for 2.5 hours in the theater, of a movie that was pretty gripping from beginnin...

In Memory of Rose

Pets have an uncanny ability of ingraining themselves into the fabric of a household, so much so that their disappearance can cause great grief and disorientation to their owners. Such is the case with Rose, who passed from our household on Sunday. An older dog when we took her in to our home last year, Rose was supposedly the runt of her litter, a fact confirmed by her diminutive 5-pound Pomeranian frame - too small for her breed but too big to be classified a "teacup." This suited her just fine, however, as she came to embody a singular personality as a dog among people, often little acknowledging some dogs and appearing frightened by others just as a hesitant human being might act around jumpy canines. Rose embodied all of what defines unconditional love. She was raucous when we would leave the house and even more raucous when we returned, partly due to separation anxiety but mostly due to her sadness and excitement of being around us; she let us know her affection b...