Skip to main content

Meditations with a snow shovel

Shovel, deer tracks, shadows, and 1 inch of snow

It snowed last night. Nowhere near the dramatic predictions of winter storm Juno, but it snowed regardless. Which meant shoveling.

The title of this blog post is inspired from Mad Men, whose inspiration came from Frank O'Hara (for Mad Men geeks, a deeper dive here and here). Art references and imitates itself, which leads to new derivatives inspired for the next generation. So is art, and so is life.

There is time to contemplate these connections while shoveling snow. Two hours of back-and-forth across pavement with a shovel. Sure, I had music streaming through my smartphone, but that only sets the mood for what is a rhythmic traversing of the driveway. I sweep away animal tracks, whose brief connection to the land vanishes in a pile. Tracks from Deer, squirrels, some strange birds - they use this driveway same as me, albeit with different intentions.

By the time that I finish, I have a clear head. My muscles are thoroughly exercised, and my sensor tells me the effort took over 10,000 steps. Those steps are lost, just like the animal tracks, through the snow that is no longer on the driveway. Such is meditation when it is done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyday Love Poem to my Wife

Over a year of marriage carries Happiness, love, and sometimes cranberries But eventually the pace slows down, Work intrudes, some days a frown And suddenly the world has changed. What we must do is simply rearrange The days so that other things fit neatly In their own places, and move on sweetly To the beauties of the everyday together. Because there is love everywhere, wherever You shall be - and perhaps also Rosie - This is a good thing naturally, So good to state it thus and remember That only frigid mornings in November Can keep us apart, but only so long As the work day lasts because so strong Is our pact that I worry not a wink - Your loveliness is worth so much, I think.

Sitting in a NYC Taxicab

I was whirring up Park Avenue for a meeting at the Waldorf Astoria (oh, how posh!) when I pulled out my cameraphone to snap a picture uniquely indicative of New York City. Something representative without being overdone (easier said that done!). Something relatable to almost anyone that has been to this wonderful city. Something easy to recognize. Something difficult to forget. Sitting in a NYC taxicab, it was apparent where the shutter would point itself. Of all the places that I have been in Manhattan through the years, none have been so welcoming and iconic as the backseat of those yellow beacons of light after a bender of a night. An United Nations of drivers mans these vehicles, representative of the dream that the United States has often been for the fortunate, displaced, and ambitious - not that disillusionment did not follow when finding the cab as an occupation hopeful for a better future. Regardless, the taxicab is often friend, sometimes foe - and sometimes the instigator of...

Muggles...

...is what I tweeted last night after having the privilege of attending a private screening of the movie hours before the midnight premiere. As much as the digital revolution has fragmented the shared experiences that we have, it has also greatly expanded the impact of those events that touch various peoples. Witness Harry Potter. In the pre-digital world, this would have been an uniquely British story about wizards and boarding schools, but it has captivated global audiences and transcended the borders of its now-uber-wealthy writer. We were part of the crowd that spanned the globe to see this movie, which I can say, lives up to the hype. On a Thursday evening, we could watch the lines of children queuing up to get a chance to say goodbye to a childhood growing up with Harry Potter and watching the actor grow from a plump-faced little boy into a serious actor and apparent alcoholic. It did not matter for 2.5 hours in the theater, of a movie that was pretty gripping from beginnin...