Skip to main content

Walt Wednesdays

Walt Disney statue at the center of the Magic Kingdom

I'm starting a new weekly series on Walt Disney, as I progress on my current writing project.

I'm calling it Walt Wednesdays. A fascinating personality, Walt Disney's dreams-turned-reality are "rite of passage" theme parks for over 100 million annual visitors, with parks now spanning the globe from California to Florida to Tokyo to Paris to Hong Kong (and soon mainland China).

Walt Disney is also current. The worship of tech superstars like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Larry Page, and Mark Zuckerberg is something not unlike the jeers and adulation that Disney received in his day. What's surprising to some is how much of an innovator that Walt Disney was with his theme parks. Interactive storytelling. Audio-animatronics. Monorails. The wealth of new discoveries applied in his parks are hidden behind a facade of old-time America that has its own innovations if visitors look close enough at the facades.

Walt once said, "Get a good idea and stay with it. Dog it, and work at it until it's done, and done right." I'll take his words as inspiration and get on with some more writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyday Love Poem to my Wife

Over a year of marriage carries Happiness, love, and sometimes cranberries But eventually the pace slows down, Work intrudes, some days a frown And suddenly the world has changed. What we must do is simply rearrange The days so that other things fit neatly In their own places, and move on sweetly To the beauties of the everyday together. Because there is love everywhere, wherever You shall be - and perhaps also Rosie - This is a good thing naturally, So good to state it thus and remember That only frigid mornings in November Can keep us apart, but only so long As the work day lasts because so strong Is our pact that I worry not a wink - Your loveliness is worth so much, I think.

Sitting in a NYC Taxicab

I was whirring up Park Avenue for a meeting at the Waldorf Astoria (oh, how posh!) when I pulled out my cameraphone to snap a picture uniquely indicative of New York City. Something representative without being overdone (easier said that done!). Something relatable to almost anyone that has been to this wonderful city. Something easy to recognize. Something difficult to forget. Sitting in a NYC taxicab, it was apparent where the shutter would point itself. Of all the places that I have been in Manhattan through the years, none have been so welcoming and iconic as the backseat of those yellow beacons of light after a bender of a night. An United Nations of drivers mans these vehicles, representative of the dream that the United States has often been for the fortunate, displaced, and ambitious - not that disillusionment did not follow when finding the cab as an occupation hopeful for a better future. Regardless, the taxicab is often friend, sometimes foe - and sometimes the instigator of...

Muggles...

...is what I tweeted last night after having the privilege of attending a private screening of the movie hours before the midnight premiere. As much as the digital revolution has fragmented the shared experiences that we have, it has also greatly expanded the impact of those events that touch various peoples. Witness Harry Potter. In the pre-digital world, this would have been an uniquely British story about wizards and boarding schools, but it has captivated global audiences and transcended the borders of its now-uber-wealthy writer. We were part of the crowd that spanned the globe to see this movie, which I can say, lives up to the hype. On a Thursday evening, we could watch the lines of children queuing up to get a chance to say goodbye to a childhood growing up with Harry Potter and watching the actor grow from a plump-faced little boy into a serious actor and apparent alcoholic. It did not matter for 2.5 hours in the theater, of a movie that was pretty gripping from beginnin...